LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 09.JAN.2001 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 00:41:39 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JAN.2001 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Code switching

Margaret Tarbet wrote under "Etymology" today:

> I suspect she was mixing LS with G, because I could understand bits
> quite clearly, though the whole thing left me confused.  ('I
> understood every word, but not the sentence' sort of thing)

Code switching of the type you witnessed there occurs not infrequently.  North
Germans who know both Low Saxon (Low German) and German, even if only a little
of the former, will often switch from one to the other.

Code switching from LS to G tends to occur when a conversation hits a
terminological snag, typically where the speaker has problems explaining
something technical or bureaucratic because he/she does not find equivalent
terms in LS.  A switch to G can also be triggered by the use of a "High"
German loanword, such as a technical term.  In that case the speaker stays in
the G mode.  Oftentimes people are not really aware that they have switched,
and later they may switch back into "familiar" LS mode.  This "loose trigger
syndrome" is typical where both speakers are quite fluent in both languages
and feel relatively relaxed with each other.

Switching from G to LS tends to occur when there is a switch from
formal/technical mode to familiar mode and the speaker is sure of the
listener's ability to understand.  Oftentimes, a LS phrase is inserted in
German.  Typically, these are everyday phrases such as _Kiek maal!_ ('Take a
look!'), _Kiek maal wedder rin!_ ("Look inside again sometime!" = 'Come by and
see me/us again sometime!'), _Ja, maakt wie_ ("Yes, we will do" = 'Sure,
(I/we)'ll do that'), or _Hold de Oren stiev!_ ("Hold the ears stiff!" = 'Take
care!', 'Don't let it get the better of you!').  I guess this is what you
witnessed there.  (Incidentally, this is also how LS _Adjüüs!_ got into German
as _Tschüß!_ via Missingsch.)  This tends to inject into the conversation a
dose of casualness and familiarity.  It takes off the formal edge, which is
also why a temporary switch to LS tends to be used to take the edge off and
render as teasing or more friendly what in German might be perceived as being
abrupt, admonishing or accusatory, e.g., _Du büs(t) ja wull mall_ 'You've got
to be crazy' (also American 'You've got to be kidding me' or 'Get outa
here!').  LS phrases may also be inserted for "color," especially where the
literal German equivalent would be rude and the LS one is considered cute,
e.g., _Laat mie man an Land mit so'n Schiet!_ ("Let me (get back) to land (=
shore) with such sh.t" =) 'Spare me that nonsense!' (where the last word is
permissible in LS but its G equivalent is considered crass or rude).

While there is a definite borderline between Low Saxon and German, there is an
indistinct one between Missingsch (i.e., German on Low Saxon substrate) and
other Northern German dialects.  It is really a matter of how much LS material
is allowed in and how much "proper" German is filtered out or not accessible.
Unfortunately, nowadays many people, especially "Southerners," think they are
hearing "Platt" (Low Saxon/Low German) when they are really hearing
Missingsch.

I would not be surprised if there were a similar situation with regard to Low
Saxon vs Dutch in the Netherlands and with regard to Scots vs Scottish English
in Scotland.