LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 10.JAN.2001 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 00:44:02 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JAN.2001 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Margaret Tarbet [oneko at mindspring.com]
Subject: "Etymology"

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:11:40 -0800,  Frank Verhoft wrote:

>If I'm not mistaken, in English this is _peekaboo_. Is
>this exclamation known and/or used in Scots?

I'm virtually positive that it is, but I can't quite remember it.
Peekie-bo?  Peek-a-bo? Keek-a-bo? Keekie-boo?  They all sound right
and wrong simultaneously.  Sannnndiiiiie!  :-)

There is a (logically) related one I do remember:  'Wan's hidin
[cover one eye slowly] twa's hidin [cover the other slowly], keek!
keek!  keek!' [uncover both suddenly]

Margaret