LL-L: "Morphology" LOWLANDS-L, 11.JAN.2001 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 01:18:38 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JAN.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 11.JAN.2001 (01) [E]

A chairde,

Apropos of nothing whilst we're on the subject of
etymology, I was wondering if anyone could help me
trace the origin of the personal pronouns in Long
Eaton English, my variant. They're very strange but so
far as I understand variants of these are used in a
broad swathe across the English midlands and perhaps
into Yorkshire. Could they have cognates in Jutlandish
or any Scandinavian language at all...? Perhaps North
Insular Frisian?

In the phonetic transcriptions that follow, [@] equals
the schwa indeterminate vowel, [e^] is a sharp clipped
form of the vowel in standard English "ten", [i^] is a
concordant variant of the vowel in standard English
"pin" or "tin", and [N:] is a palatised and lingering
form of [n]. [D] is /th/ as in "that". Incidentally in
some variants there seems to be an additional
nasalisation of the vowel preceding [N:]. This varies
according to street, unbelievably.

"myself" = L.E.E      > "muhsenn" ['m at s:e^N:]
vocative and emphatic > "mihsenn" ['mi^s:e^N:]
"yourself"            > "yuhsenn" ['j at s:e^N:]
voc. and emph.        > "yihsenn" ['ji^s:e^N:]
"himself"             > "izsen" ['i^z:s:e^N:]
voc. and emph.        > "ihsen" ['i^s:e^N:]
"herself"             > "uhsenn" ['@s:e^N:]
no vocative
"themselves"          > "thehsennz"* ['De:j at s:e^N:z:]
voc. and emph.        > "theersennz" ['Di:j at s:e^N:z:]

Clearly the "senn" is a suffix of some kind. Didn't I
once read somewhere that Danish has suffixed definite
article...? Could "senn" be "self" + definite suffix?
Something hypothetical like "*ann"?

I hope someone can help. This has been driving me to
linguistic insanity for years! *laughs*

Go raibh maith agaibh/Mindd yuhsennz,

Críostóir.