LL-L: "Morphology" LOWLANDS-L, 12.JAN.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 15:45:29 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JAN.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Helge Tietz [helgetietz at yahoo.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Morphology" (was "Etymology") LOWLANDS-L, 11.JAN.2001 (03) [E]

> From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
> Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 11.JAN.2001 (01) [E]
>
> Clearly the "senn" is a suffix of some kind. Didn't I
> once read somewhere that Danish has suffixed definite
> article...? Could "senn" be "self" + definite suffix?
> Something hypothetical like "*ann"?

For your information, some Zeelandic and quite a few West-Flemish dialects
have these forms:

myself = mienzelvn
yourself = joenzelvn
himself = zienzelvn or 'imzelvn
herself = 'eurzelvn
themselves = ulderzelvn

The v in -zelvn is always silent, so the pronounciation of -zelvn is almost
the same as your -senn. Most Zeelandic dialect however have more Hollandic
forms like 'mien eigen', 'j'n eigen', etc.

regards,

Marco

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Morphology

Dear Lowlanders,

Yesterday Barbara and I provided subjective - objective personal pronoun forms
in Low Saxon (Low German):

Westphalian     North Saxon     E. Friesland    Eastphalian
ick - mi        i(c)k - mi(e)   i(c)k - mi(e)   i(c)k - mi(c)k
du - di         du - di(e)      du - di(e)      du - di(c)k
he - em         he - em         he - hum        he - em
se - iär        se - e(h)r      se - hör        se - e(h)r
et - et         dat - dat       dat - dat       dat/et - dat/et
wi - us         wi(e) - u(n)s   wi(e) - uns     wi(e) - (i)us
ji - ju         ji(e) - ju/jo   ji(e) - jo      ji(e) - ju
se - se         se - jüm        se - hör        se - jem

I will add the equivalents in Mennonite Low Saxon ("Plautdietsch")* below:

ekj/etj - mie
dü/du - die
he(e) - am
se(e) - äa
et/daut - et/daut
wie - on(n)s
jie - jü/ju
de(e) - an

Please let us know if anything is incorrect.

* These dialects developed from "West Prussian" Low Saxon dialects of the
Lower Wistula area (now Northern Poland) and are used in Russia, Ukraine,
Central Asia, the Americas, and lately also in Germany.