LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 12.JAN.2001 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 21:13:49 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JAN.2001 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 12.JAN.2001 (04) [E]

A chairde,

I never imagined that I would be replying to
"Administrava" but I'm uncertain on one issue: does my
continual reference to Long Eaton English break any of
the Lowlands-L rules...? I ask because it is not,
strictly speaking, a recognised Lowland language.

Just wondering.

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Críostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Críostóir, Lowlanders,

You're totally in the clear, Críostóir.  There is no requirement to talk only
about "languages" (however you might define this).  It is perfectly fine to
discuss *any* linguistic (or cultural) variety, down to the smallest community
variety or idiolect, as long as they qualify as or are contained within
"Lowlandic" (as defined at
http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/).  The *focus* must be
"Lowlandic," which does not mean that other types of linguistic (or cultural)
varieties may not be discussed with a "Lowlandic"-relevant twist, i.e., with
the purpose of helping us to better understand our own "Lowlandic" subject
area.

The main problems I am currently experiencing with posting submissions from a
few subscribers, both new and supposedly experienced, have to do with
formatting, or the lack of it.  Some people just hit the reply button and add
their comments before or after the cited text, i.e., a preceding LL-L issue in
toto.  This is not acceptable.  If you quote someone you must show only the
relevant part of what that person had written, and you must make sure you say
who that person was.  "Lowlands-L wrote:" or something like this just won't
cut it.

As I said, if you are not sure what is required, read the various LL-L issues
to see how postings appear, and bear in mind that I am not going to do all the
cutting and pasting for you.