LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 16.JAN.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 17:13:32 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JAN.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Grammar"

Edwin Alexander opined:

> I find it hard to believe that
> anyone who was a serious "grammarian" in the 16th century
> would have
> proposed such a theory, since it is so obviously illogical.

Oh Edwin, grammarians generally have no clue about language at
all.  Linguistics hasn't really existed as a science since the
1800's or really the early 1900's.  When I read what amateur
"experts" write about "proper" language even today, it makes me
cring-- people confuse what is socially inappropriate (in a
given social context!) with linguistic difficiency, or try to
derive old dialects from young standardized norms etc.

Examples for English include the rule against double negatives,
as in Latin-- even tho French, which they admire, requires
double negatives!  You may all have run into such arbitrary
rules that ignore what speakers are doing and doing well.

(I -am- happy with the openness on this list, let me add!  It's
the self-smug amateur expert who are immune to factuality that
upset me.)

Stefan