LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 15.JAN.2001 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 01:15:12 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JAN.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: Grammar

Criostoir asked:

> Am I correct when I say that Norse had
> no theta or dhelta phonemes?

Old Norse did have those sounds (but as allophones, with the
edh/dhelta pronunciation between vowels/voiced sounds and the
thorn/theta pronunciation elsewhere, with both symbols used
interchangeably).  By the 1200's, theses sounds were fast fading
in mainland Scandinavia, but Iceland has kept them.

Criostoir  also wrote:

> If "senn" enjoys a similar
> position in Zeeuws - with both deriving from
> "selfun"/"zelven" - could we propose that the
> "selfun/zelven" contiguity came about whilst the
> proto-English were still on mainland Europe?

I think it's surely a chance parallel development (or possibly a
later influence- is your town a harbor town i.e. formerly in
frequent contact with Dutch merchants?
If senn were ancient, you'd presumably see it in Old and Middle
English and Old Dutch etc.; to the best of my knowledge you
don't.  And it is a natural contraction that could happen at any
time until the -n ending was totally lost.

> A second curious feature of L.E.E which I know is
> It is peculiar that numerals are
> not affected by this absence, although "seven" is
> "sayun" [se:j:'@N], and "five of us" is "fain on us
> (oss)" [faijN: oN: us] (with the [o] being nasalised).
> Where would "on" for "of" derive from? Is it the same
> [v] + definite suffix causing eclipsis as in "selfun"
> to "senn"?

At a guess-  the v in five may have been lost, and then an -n
was stuck in to bridge the gap/hiatus, the same way some
varieties of English add an -r between two vowels.  I wouldn't
expect a suffix on a numeral-  German rarely adds one; Old
English rarely, and only to specifically mark the case ("mit uns
zweien" etc.).  Does that seem to fit?

John Feather wrote

> But I note that Stefan is also uncertain about how possessives
> with female names were treated.
> BTW, in the case of common nouns there was a tendency in the
> earliest ME for
> feminine nouns to take what was previously a masculine
> genitive ending (thus
> the genitive of "hefne" ("heaven") became "hefness").

!  "heaven" (heofon) had been masculine.  Did it become feminine
later?  But certainly all nouns have eventually taken genitive
-s (even in the plural of words without the -s plural: the mens'
stuff, the hippopotomi's dance).

But back to the his-genitive--  does anyone know to what extent
English had a her-genitive a la "Anna her house" for "Anna's
house"?

On a related note, we get relicts of the old feminine genitive
like "Our Lady Chapel", reflecting the s-less Old English
genitive (which was from Proto-Germanic -z still found in Gothic
and with rhoticism in German ending -er and Icelandic -ar, all
of which goes back to the Proto-Indo-European s-genitive.  So
the world and language change.)

Stefan