LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 20.JAN.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 00:46:44 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JAN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Administrativa

Would it be possible to add to the very sensible current rules a
requirement that postings should be spell-checked? People who don't have
this facility for the language they happen to be writing in won't be able
comply, but it ought to make life easier for most of us.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

John,

Thank you for your suggestion (above).  I certainly understand your desire
to improve spelling and grammar on LL-L.  Obviously, so far I do not know
what others think of it.  Personally I think we could *request* that
spell-checkers be used if available, but I do not think it is reasonable to
*require* it.  Most email programs do not come with spell-checking
applications, and many subscribers may be overly challenged if we required
that they prepare their responses in word-processing programs that have
spell-checkers (with quotes copied from their email programs) and then copy
their responses into their email programs.  Why, I can't even get people to
stop simply hitting the reply button and writing their responses before or
after entire LL-L issues, and I have requested many times that they not do
so.  I got one private response saying that he/she did not have the
technical know-how to edit text but still wanted to participate in
discussions.