LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 21.JAN.2001 (01) [E/German]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 22:34:13 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JAN.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Edwin Alexander [edsells at idirect.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 20.JAN.2001 (01) [E]

At 04:33 PM 01/20/01 -0800, Ron wrote:
>Bob,
>
>Thanks for the pointer.  I have never heard "dilled pickles" used, and
>neither have people I have asked since: five local (Seattle) native
>speakers, two Californians, and one Irish woman who has lived in England
>and New York before moving here.  This is not to say that I doubt that it
>is used in your neck of the woods.  It certainly would explain "dilled
>salad."

Nope, not here in Canada, either.  I believe that it is simply a new
formation based on the analogy of <spice> and <spiced>.  Doesn't something
the reverse happen in <pickle> which is a verb.  When you "pickle" a
cucumber, it becomes a "pickle".