LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 21.JAN.2001 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 22:43:09 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JAN.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Administrativa

Ron

I mentioned spell-checking of e-mail to a friend who doesn't use it and he
said he didn't know it was available. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for
contributors to look in their program's Help file to see if the option
exists.
Outlook Express (OEx) normally uses the Word spellchecker and the language
options are therefore the same (eg BE or AmE). Activate by going to
Tools/Spelling or Tools/Options/Spelling, depending on the version of OEx.

BTW, the standard Microsoft method of copying text is by "blocking". Move
the cursor to the beginning (or end) of the text you want to copy. Hold
down
the left mouse button and move the cursor over the text to be copied. The
text gets highlighted. Click on "Copy", or "Edit" then "Copy". Switch to
the
new document, put the cursor where you want the text to appear and click on

"Paste", or "Edit" then "Paste", to reproduce it. (The "Edit" menu can also

be brought up by hitting "Alt" then "E" rather than by clicking.) This
works
in Outlook Express. In other programs blocking may be possible by holding
down the shift key and moving the cursor with the arrow keys, but not in
OEx.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 20.JAN.2001 (02) [E]

A chairde,

I for one would strongly oppose any moves to "require"
the use of spell checks on Lowlands-L. Whilst it is
perfectly reasonable to "request" such supposed
"advances" it hardly contributes greatly to the core
of our discussions. Part of the fundamental freedom of
discussion is the right to write what you wish -
within reason - and although various parties may be
tired of pedantic errors in spelling that hardly
forces the rest of us, who do not use spellcheck and
utterly refuse to do so, to comply with their ideal of
how and what we should write. After all, how soon is
it before we are told that our grammar is somehow
"incorrect"?

Forgive me if I seem a little polemic but haven't we
all grown up experiencing forms of discrimination
because of supposed "non-standard" language usage?
(i.e., Low Saxon as "aberrant" Dutch/German, Scots as
"wrong" English, Zeeuws as "funny" Dutch, etc.)
Therefore it seems to me to be incredulous and
alarming that the Lowlands-L community should attempt
to introduce constrictive and restrictive codes of
behaviour designed to influence free speech and its
equally free expression. If one refuses to read a post
because it has spelling errors, then the problem lies
with the reader, not the writer. A little patience,
tolerance and effort would go a long way toward
"spell-checking", I feel.

Thank you.

Críostóir.