LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.JAN.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 15:54:14 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Etymology"

Ron had written:

> > The _Duden_ people assume that the ultimate source of
> > the European derivations is Greek _taô's_.  Greek /t-/ >
> Latin > /p-/?!

My English dictionary also says they are "obscurely related".  I
can hardly imagine a Roman hearing Greek _taô's_ and turning
ithe _t_into _p_; I've never seen that happen.  The one thing
that occurs to me is that it could have come from *kwa:w-.
Proto-Indoeuropean *kw yields Greek _t_ before _i, e_ and _p_
before _a, o_,  and it yields _p_ in Italic languages other than
Latin-- but that hardly helps, since the Greek doesn't really
match up, Latin didn't borrow many words from the other the
p-dialects, and the word seems to be a loan from Persia, not
inherited.

and he wrote:

> As for the /-luun/ part, it would be interesting to find out
> the etymology of Russian _pavlín_, for this _...lín_ may be
> relevant here, as may be the Low Saxon (Low German) propensity
> for vowel rounding with or without labial environment --
> whether there is a Low-Saxon-Russian connection or not.

Would Low Saxon likelier round _lin_ to _luun_ or to _lüün_?

Could the -uun/luun (and maybe the Russian -lin) be a
pseudofrench ending, tacked on to make a foreign word look
"properly foreign"?  I had that gut reaction, but I haven't
thought of any good basis to pin that on.

Stefan