LL-L: "Shared features" LOWLANDS-L, 01.JUN.2001 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 18:49:13 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUN.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Mike Oettle <oettlepe at iafrica.com>
Subject: LL-L: "Shared features" LOWLANDS-L, 31.MAY.2001 (04) [E]

Dear Ron -
    the long discussion of Germanic/Slavic dialects in eastern
Germany/Poland was most interesting, not least because of the mention of
Scottish immigration at some point.
    But what caught my eye was the paragraph mentioning Pietsch/Peitsche,
which has an equivalent in Afrikaans. One doesn't think of Afrikaans as
having Slavic loanwords, but the entry for the word in "Afrikaanse
Etimologieë" is probably worth quoting:

_piets:_ afransel, slaan; Ndl. _pietsen/pitsen_, "slaan" (veral in dial.),
verb. m. Ndl _pietsen/pitsen_, "kyp" (ook veral in dial.) word betwyfel; kan
dit misk. verb. hou m. Ndl./Afr. _peits_ (q.v.) en m. Hd. _peitsche_ (vgl.
OFri _pïtsken_, "peitschen, schlagen" by tDK 722)?

    (The first mention of the word is in bold type, as is the word peits in
[Ndl./Afr. peits (q.v.)]; the other words between _ markings are in
italics.)

    "Afrikaanse Etimologieë" is by S P E Boshoff and G S Nienaber, and was
published in 1967 by the Suid-Afrikaanse Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns (no
placename is given, but I presume it to be Pretoria).

    The mention of Scottish immigration also calls to mind mention of a
situation outlined in a book (which I am currently unable to trace) on the
subject of Britain in the time of Arthur.
    It stated that Germani from various parts of what is now northern
Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium would cross the North Sea and assist
the English in settling land taken from Brythonic-speaking inhabitants. This
was a process that began with the first Germanic settlements in Britain and
continued throughout the Dark Ages, but was reversed during the 40-year
peace that followed Arthur's routing of the English at the Battle of Badon
Hill.
    During those years, the author noted, Englishmen crossed the North Sea
to assist in Germanic settlement on the Continent, especially in Flanders
where land was being taken from Romance-speakers.
    I mentioned this book in a recent message on the subject of the Scots
language, and was queried on it. It was in the stock of the main Port
Elizabeth city library, but is not currently there. But I will check again,
as it has some pertinent points about events in the Dark Ages.
    Regards,
    Mike
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Shared features

Dear Mike, Lowlanders,

We discussed the matter of _piets_ in Afrikaans a long time ago.  Also a long
time ago there was some discussion about the apparently never confirmed
assumption that Afrikaans has had some Low Saxon (Low German) influence.  This
does not seem all that absurd if you consider that many "Dutch" people are
actually native speakers of Low Saxon (from the eastern provinces of the
Netherlands) and that there have pretty much always been people from Germany
among the European settlers, many from the north (especially in the earliest
days), and most eventually having been absorbed by Afrikaans-speaking
communities.

If _piets_ came from Low Saxon _Pietsch_ and _pietschen_ -- which is what I
assume -- than it must have come from speakers from Northern Germany, because
I understand that the use of _Pietsch_ does not reach as far as the
Netherlands or even as far as the border region on the German side.  I
understand that in these areas the older, native word _sweep_ and variants of
it are still used.  Apparently, some dialects farther east have both _Pietsch_
[p`i:tS] and _Sweep_ [svEIp] ~ [sve:p], others only _Pietsch_.  Many have
_Klabatsch_ [kla'batS] for 'whip' and _klabatschen_ [kla'batS=n] 'to whip' as
well, probably onomatopoetic in origin.  The way I use these is this:
_Pietsch_ is a whip used on animals or on play tops (for those of us who are
old enough to remember), while the kind you use (or hopefully *used to* use)
on humans is a _Klabatsch_.  (By the way, all of them have feminine gender,
thus take the pronoun _se_ [zE.I].)

In short, I believe that Afrikaans _piets_ is an indirect Slavic loan, namely
one borrowed via Low Saxon, neither the borrowers nor the lenders being aware
that the origin is Slavic.

I think it would be very interesting to search for other possible Low Saxon
loans in Afrikaans, namely words that do not and have never been used in Dutch
and Zeelandic but are used in Low Saxon.

As for Scottisch emigration to Prussia, note the name of a town in the
Gdansk/Danzig region: Polish _Nowe Szkoty_, German/Low Saxon _Neu Schottland_.

From: Stefan Israel <stefansfeder at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L: "Shared features"

Marco Evenhuis writes:

> I wonder what Stefan means with Old Dutch in this context,
> since most coastal dialects in the Netherlands in those days
> were clearly part of the 'North Sea Germanic' group

I didn't clarify that, that's true- when linguists refer to Old
Dutch, they are referring to the inland dialects, as opposed to
the Ingveonic coastal dialects.  Old Dutch is also called Old
Low Franconian.  It's ancestral to Limburgish; unfortunately
most of the neighboring dialects weren't set to writing till
later.  Old Dutch in this sense is an ancestor but not the
ancestor of modern standard Dutch, and not ancestral at all to
most Dutch dialects.

Like Ingveonic varieties, it kept ptk, and spirant _g_ (still
pronounced that way in Flemish).
Unlike Ingveonic, it still had three separate personal endings
for verbs (thus _werthun_wirthit_werthunt_ "we/you/they become"
vs. Old Saxon _werthad_werthad_werthad_); it didn't palatalize
/k/, /g/ (cf. Old Dutch _kint_ vs. English _child_).  Old Dutch
also diphthongized long _e_ and _o_ to _ie_ and _uo_, which was
adopted by High German dialects.
It also didn't have Nasalschwund, thus Dutch _mond_ vs. English
_mouth_; you find vestiges of coastal Ingveonic dialects in
place names in -muiden ('rivermouth').

Modern Dutch is an amalgam of these inland dialects and the
coastal ones, which accounts for why Dutch shares many features
with Ingveonic but not others.

>(Flemish -not to be divided in
> western and eastern Flemish before the 1400s

Not completely true- we have exactly one sentence of
recognizable Old West Flemish from the 1100's: some monk jotted
down this sentence in the margin of a Latin text he was writing:

 hebban olla vogala nestas hagunnan hinase hi[c] enda thu w[at]
[u]nbidan [w]e nu

"all the birds have begun nests except you and I- what are we
waiting for?"

The rounding of _all_ to _oll_ and the loss of [h], shown by the
scribe not knowing if _ik_ had an <h> or not point to West
Flemish, though I will grant you, just because their were
already discernible differences between east and west Flemish
doesn't mean that the differences were necessarily great.

> All of which can hardly be considered 'Old Dutch'...

The term is unfortunate, since the language in question was only
one part of what is now the Netherlands, but the term is still
used as a matter of tradition.  In any event, that is the Old
Dutch I was referring to.