LL-L: "Nicknames" LOWLANDS-L, 01.JUN.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 19:30:29 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Nicknames"

When I was a child I was reading a comic in which there was
a character named "Nobby Clark". My father explained to me
that in English men surnamed "Clark" are traditionally
nicknamed "Nobby".

This was the last I heard of this phenomenon until recently
I enquired of a workmate why they called a certain other
workmate "Sticky". He said that it was traditional to give
this nickname to men surnamed "Sharples".

So we have "Nobby Clark" and "Sticky Sharples", but I can't
think of any other examples of this phenomenon. Does it
occur outside of England at all, and does it occur in other
Lowlands languages? Can anyone offer any examples, either
in English or any other Lowlands languages? I can't think
of any examples of anything like this in Scots.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.