LL-L: "Nicknames" LOWLANDS-L, 06.JUN.2001 (02) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 19:47:54 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Mike Oettle [oettlepe at iafrica.com]
Subject: "Nicknames"

Hi, Elsie -
    it seems as if we're confusing two different kinds of nicknames here.
Nobby Clarke is a nickname that has no apparent link to the surname, and
seems to have begun as the nickame of a single individual.
    Pine Pienaar, on the other hand, belongs to a class of nickname found
among Afrikaers that originate from English-speakers mispronouncing them.
Pienaar (_pi-naar_) is derived from the French Pegnard, and has had its
present form since the early Dutch days at the Cape. But to an
English-speaker unfamiliar with Afrikaans, it looks as though the first
syllable should rhyme with custard pie. From Pine-aar, it's an easy step to
Pine Pienaar.
    Incidentally, I know a Pienaar whose nickname is Pie.
    The same goes for "Fires" van Vuuren and, in a slightly different way,
Van van der Merwe.
    I'd be interested to see what other LOWLANDS-L folk have to say.
    Mike