LL-L: "Nicknames" LOWLANDS-L, 08.JUN.2001 (03) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 19:03:11 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUN.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: David Strommen [si00924 at navix.net]
Subject: "Nicknames"

Thanks for the reply Ron. Here again we see how the immigrants in America
living in isolation from the changes taking place "back home" have retained
diminutive form that is used as a term of affection. We adored uncle Heinie
as
he would show us around the farm, play with etc. Of course since our first
language was English we got a kick out a the name Heinie because we thought
it
was a reference for his posterior.  I have discovered in Norwegian too, that
names that are very acceptable in the States among the Norwegian speaking
population have come to mean something very different in Norway even vulgar
the modern Norwegian's ear....example "kjerring"=woman, wife from I believe
the French and originally meant "dear one". Today it is considered quite
rude
and even vulgar to call someone "Kjerring". Thanks David Strommen