LL-L: "Translations" LOWLANDS-L, 17.JUN.2001 (01) [E/LS]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 09:07:58 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.JUN.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Translation

Stan Levinson [stlev99 at yahoo.com] wrote:

> I've gotta say... The original poem in French sucks

I quite agree.  It almost seems to be one of those "wise" ditties that in
the olden days used to be cross-stitched onto samplers and show towels, or
in this case printed onto the first page of a primer or exercise book.

However, any excuse will do for staging yet another translation bee.  It is
always interesting to compare the various versions.

> I love
> the two Low Saxon versions.

Actually, Stan, they are *one* version that is written with two spelling
systems.  Low Saxon ("Low German") has no official orthography nor a
standard dialect because it was not officially recognized as a language
until recently.  There are only spelling conventions, which are nothing
more than sets of guidelines.

The first version uses the German-based Fehrs system:

Elk Ogenblick doot wi wat lehrn.
Wi lehrt wat vun us Misslääg' af
liek as wi vun us Spood lehrn doot.
Wi lehrt un lehrt un kaamt vöran,
Dag üm Dag 'n lütt Stück wieder.

The second version uses my own alternative system, which is loosely based
on principles of Middle Low Saxon (Hansa League) writing and which, unlike
the systems commonly used in Germany, seeks to distinguish all phonemes and
only phonemes:

Elk ogenblik dout wy wat leyren.
Wy leyrt wat vun us missleeg' af
lyk as wy vun us spoud leyren dout.
Wy leyrt un leyrt un kaamt vöran,
dag üm dag 'n lüt stük wyder.

The pronunciation is the same:*

?E.lk '?o:gNblIk doUt vi: vat lE%I3n
vi: lE%I3t vat fU%n Us 'mIssle:G ?af
li:k as vi: fU%n Us spoUt lE%3n doUt
vi: lE%I3t ?U%n lE%I3t ?U%n k`Q:mt f9'ra%n
dax Y%m dax n lYt stYk 'vi:d3

* SAMPA system of phonetic notation:
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/x-sampa.htm
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/samprosa.htm

  Please submit contributions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l" are