LL-L: "Diminutives" LOWLANDS-L, 28.JUN.2001 (01) [A/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 17:03:20 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUN.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: frank verhoft <frank_verhoft at yahoo.com>
Subject: Diminutives

Dear Sandy, dear Lowlanders

Thank you very much for the explanation!

Just a small addition:
You wrote:
"Note the similarity of "mannikin" to French
"mannequin"."

French _mannequin_ got borrowed in the XVth C from
Middle Dutch _mannekijn_, lit. "little man", though in
French it denoted a "figurine humaine", a little
sculpture made out of wood, later it became the word
for those wooden models that got used in shops to show
clothes (XIXth C). The meaning shifted towards men
(1814) and women (1862) who got employed to try on
clothes. Only in the XXth C it was used for women
showing them in public, on stages and catwalks etc.
We got it back as _mannequin_ in the modern sense of
the word. I think we did a nice trade...

Thanks again, and best regards,

Frank

----------

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L: "Diminutives" LOWLANDS-L, 27.JUN.2001 (04) [E]

This -ie diminitive was rather overused in Edinburgh. The ice cream van
became 'The Icie' and I had an aunt who went so far as describe school
lunches (dinners) as 'The Dinneries'. Noo thair's a wurd fur Ye, must've
been a richt hubbleshoo. It has even spread to Oz where potato crisps are
referred to as 'chippies'.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae