LL-L: "Diminutives" LOWLANDS-L, 29.JUN.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 17:02:06 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUN.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L: "Diminutives" LOWLANDS-L, 28.JUN.2001 (01) [A/E]

And we all remember what comes after "mannekin..." in
Brussel!!!
Stan

----------

From: Andrys Onsman <A.Onsman at utas.edu.au>

To all respondents, particularly Tom McRae;
Re: diminutives

"This -ie diminitive was rather overused in Edinburgh. The ice cream van
became 'The Icie' and I had an aunt who went so far as describe school
lunches (dinners) as 'The Dinneries'. Noo thair's a wurd fur Ye, must've
been a richt hubbleshoo. It has even spread to Oz where potato crisps are
referred to as 'chippies'."

I have noticed that over the last few decades the diminutive in
Australian is changing to "er" ie  bikie = biker; truckie = trucker
(Mind you, that wouldn't work with chipper!). Probably the American
influence, or PC, or both.

And Tom,  the diminutive "Giftie", I can't see it meaning "the little
gift." What's going on there?

"Oh wid some power the Giftie gie us
Tae see oorselves as ithers see us"
Robert Burns--

Best
Andrys Onsman
--
Dr Andrys Onsman
Riawunna

Phone           + 61.3.6226 2539
Mobile          0438  667623
Fax             + 61.3.62262575
E-mail          A.Onsman at utas.edu.au

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Diminutive

I wrote yesterday:

> Note _lüttje_ 'small',
> 'little' above.  It is a rare case of a diminutive adjective (/lüt+je/).
> Actually, I cannot think of any other examples right now.  Can anyone > else?

This morning, the Low Saxon (Low German) adverb _stillkens_ came to mind.  It
is obviously derived from the adjective/adverb _still_ 'still', 'quiet(ly)'.
The most common meanings of _stillkens_ are 'very quietly' as well as
'surreptitiously', 'secretly', 'furtively', 'on the sly', thus basically 'so
quietly that no one notices'.  I am wondering if this is a case of adverbial
diminution with _-ken_, plus the old adverbial _-s_ (/stil+ken+s/), which I
believe to be at work in the Dutch examples Frank Verhoft gave us (bearing in
mind that most Dutch varieties drop the /n/ in _-en_: