LL-L: "Online resources" LOWLANDS-L, 10.MAR.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 02:31:52 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andy Eagle [Andy.Eagle at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Online resources"

Ron wrote:

> By the way, should we treat Shetlandic as separate from Scots or as part
of
> it?  Or should we have lists entitled "Scots and Shetlandic"?

I personally see Shetlandic as an Insular Scots dialect, albeit
substancially different from mainland Scots.
If those who speak it wish to keep it 'separate' I will respect thair
wishes.
Some people may construe Shetlandic to be Norn.

On the other hand Lallans, Doric and Ullans are the same language. On the
Lowlands -L introduction page you could maybe have one introduction in
'general' Scots and then in small print underneath links to Ullans and
Doric
versions etc.

What do others think?

Andy Eagle

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Online resources

Thank you very much for your input, Andy.

I would go along with whatever consensus at which our Scots and Shetlandic
speakers and experts may arrive, and I would post whatever versions may be
contributed.  This applies to other "Lowlandic" varieties also.

By the way, it may interest some of you to know that I have received quite
a number of responses to our inclusion of Appalachian.  All but two or
three have been favorable and thanked us for thinking of and including that
language variety.  It sounded like all or almost all of them came from
native speakers (and most of them were composed in Appalachian).  Once in a
blue moon I receive an unfavorable response, mostly in a ridiculing tone,
and I have no problem ignoring those.