LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 11.MAR.2001 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 05:08:22 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 11.MAR.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andy Eagle [Andy.Eagle at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties"

Roger Thijs wrote:

> Could anybody delimit geographically what "common sense understanding"
> is for the geogrtaphical spread of these varieties?
> Lallands: the germanic language spoken in all of Scotland, except Gaelic
> area's....., having features that clearly distinguish Scots from
> English, with the "area covered by most common features" clearly and
> fortunately delimited by the administrative borderline between England
> and Scotland????

Lallans = Lowlands i.e Lowland Scotland as opposed to Highland Scotland.
The Lowlands are(were) Scots speaking the Highlands are(were) Gaelic
speaking.
Of course the borderline between what are northern Varieties of English and

Scots does not exactly correspond to the political border. (Dialect
continuum)

> Doric: ...?

Variety of Scots spoken in the north east of Scotland. Doric used to refer
to Scots in General but is now usually associated with Mid Northern Scots
(North East Scots)

> Ullands: ...?
Ullans- (pun on Lallans) = Ulster Scots varieties spoken in the north of
Ireland

> Norn: dead?, once spoken in ....?

Norn, a variety (or varieties) of Scandinavian once spoken in Shetland,
Orkney and Caithness. Influence still found in Insular an Caithness
varieties of Scots.

> Shetlandish: the variety spoken on all Shetlandic islands and in _no_
> non-Shetlandic area, with some common features specific for all of these
> islands, clearly and undoubtedly identifying Shetlanders?

Shetlandic = spoken in Shetland (A group of islands located in a box in the

Moray Firth, Forgive me if I'v got that wrong;-))

> Are there (correct??) geographical maps (or lists) on the web or
> elsewhere, making it possible for one to find out to what language
> variety a municipality undoubtedly belongs, as to "common acceptance"?

There is a (somewhat rudimentary) dialect map at
http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/pronunci.htm

This is followed by phonetic descriptions of the various varieties.

Andy Eagle