LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 15.MAR.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 16:56:41 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.MAR.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at starmail.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 14.MAR.2001 (06) [E]

At 16:32 14/03/01 -0800, R. F. Hahn wrote:

>     (c) What, if any, is the official status of Scots at present?

Confused. In different ways the British, Scottish and both Irish
governments have accepted the status of Scots as a language
different from English. However, in Scotland the practical
consequences of this aren't much different from the previous
(unstated) policy of eradication.

Scots still has no serious place in broadcasting, in either the
public or private sector. In schools, there is more tolerance
than there used to be, and in most places it isn't seen as a
punishable breach of discipline simply to be heard saying something
in it. However, there's no coherent overall policy towards it, and
any attention it receives in schools depends on a decision by
individual teachers to find the time and resources. A government-
funded organisation, the Scottish Arts Council, gives out small
(one might even say "token" or "derisory") sums of money to support
the use of Scots in the creative arts.

There are no roadsigns showing Scots forms of place-names (except
where those are the only forms used) even when the English-
language forms are artificial and have no actual usage, e.g the
Aberdeen district of Fittie which is known officially as "Footdee".
There is no right to send mail to an address with the place-names
in their Scots forms (even if, in practice, it will be delivered
provided that the postcode is correct).

As recently as 1999 the Scottish Office (the arm of the British
government responsible for Scottish affairs, before we got
autonomous self-government) was denying that anyone speaks
Scots as a first language, as their reason for not translating
official publications into Scots.

In 2000 the Convener (chair-person) of the Scottish Parliament's
European Committee, Hugh Henry, wrote a newspaper article
ridiculing Scots and also denying that anyone speaks it, his
evidence for this being that *he* doesn't speak it. The previous
First Minister, the late Donald Dewar, was of the same view
although at least he didn't go so far as to write any newspaper
articles. By all accounts the present First Minister, Henry
McLeish, is not personally opposed to Scots to the same degree.

This is the position in Scotland. The position in Ireland is very
different, but there are others much better placed than I to
comment.

  Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                                the barra wadna row its lane
  writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
  the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre