LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 14.MAR.2001 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 00:32:25 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.MAR.2001 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Language politics

Dear Lowlanders,

I hope some of you can give me some definitive answers regarding the official
states of some Lowlandic languages in the countries in which they are used.
As some of you may already be aware, the website of the EBLUL (European Bureau
for Lesser Used Languages, http://www.eblul.org/) is anything but up-to-date
and reliable, so I cannot get the expected information there.  (For example,
the German contingent still has not seen to it that "Low German" be listed,
although the language was officially recognized in Germany over two years ago
and although Georg Deutsch and I were informed well over a year ago that it
will be added to the German list shortly.)

Here are my questions:

(1) What is the current situation of Limburgish?
    (a) Has Limburgish been recognized in the Netherlands?
    (b) Has Limburgish been recognized in Belgium?
    (c) Are there any efforts to have Limburgish recognized as
        separate from Low Saxon in Germany?  (At present, both
        of them are lumped together under "Low German.")

(2) Is anything being done to have Zeelandic recognized?

(3) What is the current recognition status in Belgium?  Have any
    languages other than Dutch, French and German been recognized,
    and if not, what kinds of efforts are being made?

(4) What is the current recognition status in the United Kingdom?
    (a) Has *any* language other than English been officially
        recognized?
    (b) Have the ambivalent states of Welsh ("legal but not
        constitutionally enshrined"), Cornish ("not legal but
        recognized as a legitimate autochtonous language") and
        Gaelic ("not legal but used by some public bodies") been
        changed to official? (This is not Lowlands-related but is
        relevant regarding the principle of things.)
    (c) What, if any, is the official status of Scots at present?

Thanks in advance.