LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 15.MAR.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 22:16:17 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.MAR.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Marco Evenhuis [evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl]
Subject:  LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 15.MAR.2001 (01) [E]

Criostoir wrote:

>    Cornish place-names are occasionally used on the
> "welcome" signs at town and city limits

>    Cornish is not taught in school except as an
> extra-cirricular activity after school hours

>    There is minimal Cornish language presence on Radio
>    Cornwall (some thirty minutes a week although this
>   fluctuates) and there is a regular Cornish sermon in
>    Truro Cathedral. There is a small but vibrant
> Cornish language press which enjoys presence in
> local libraries. Camborne Library has an extensive
> Cornish language back issue section and subscribes
> to all the main Cornish language journals.

>    Cornish is available in night classes at Cornwall's
>    only instutute of Higher Education, Cornwall
> College

etc.

Criostoir seems to be a bit disappointed about the status of
Kernewek/Cornish in Cornwall. But I think that most enthusiasts for living
languages that are closely related to more powerful languages (Low
Saxon/German, Scots/English, Zeelandic-Limburgish-Low Saxon/Dutch, etc.) are
quite jealous of the position of this small, reanimated Celtic language with
only some 200 fluent speakers and a few who have studied it (if I'm
correct).

R. F. Hahn wrote:

> So I take it Limburgish *has* been officially recognized in the
Netherlands.

Yes it has, but not (yet) in Belgium.

> It is relatively easy to maintain that Dutch, Low Saxon, Zeelandic and
Limburgish
> are one language and that Scots is a part of English, because of the close
> genealogical relationship between them. It gets a little harder
maintaining
> that "Low German" is a part of German (considering that
> German speakers do not understand it unless they are extensively exposed
> it), but it has been done, as we all know.

Apart from the fact that the (sometimes close) relationship between a
language of power and a smaller, regional language has, as we all know,
little to do with determining whether a variety should be treated as a
separate language or not, I think that when you look at how well a variety
can be understood, it is just as hard maintaining that Low Saxon, Zeelandic
and Limburgish are the same language as Dutch as it is to maintain that Low
German is a part of German. Most varieties of Low Saxon, Limburgish and
Zeelandic are, in my experience just as hard to understand for a monolingual
Dutch speaker than Low German is for a speaker of German.
In case of Zeelandic, even a strong accent is very difficult to understand
for people whose ears are tuned to standard Dutch. Someone from Utrecht who
moved to a village in Zeeland a few years ago asked me why everyone spoke
Dutch with such a strong English(!) accent! Now, about three years later, he
easily understands people speaking with a strong accent, but still has
difficulties understanding (especially older) people speaking Zeeuws...