LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 17.MAR.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 17 17:48:11 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 17.MAR.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at starmail.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 16.MAR.2001 (01) [E]

At 10:37 16/03/01 -0800, Tom Mc Rae wrote:

>This is a retrograde step as The BBC Scottish Home Service in the 1940's
and
>50's had many programmes in Scots dialect, they taught me a great deal at
>the time. Short stories and plays in Scots were regular features, best I
>remember was a translation of Moliere's 'Tartuffe' titled 'A Richt Holy
>Wullie'. There was even a language learning series 'The Guid Scots Tongue'

>put On-Air along with the usual ones on French etc.
>How did they manage to lose direction?

I'm not sure but my best guess is that fifty or sixty years ago
Scots was still in use, to some degree, among the middle classes
in the major urban centres. Nowadays, of course, it isn't although
there is still a Scots-speaking element in the middle class in
some other areas, e.g here in the north-east.

Anyone who wants to see how low the BBC has fallen, needs only
to look at this URL where the anglified Scots spoken in Glasgow
is parodied as "Nedspeak" ("hooligan-speak").
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/chewinthefat/neducation/index.shtml

  Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                                the barra wadna row its lane
  writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
  the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre