LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 18.MAR.2001 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 21:41:06 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 18.MAR.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Phonology

Dear Lowlanders,

I am wondering if within the Lowlandic language area stop consonant
aspiration is inherently language-type-specific (with some spreading to
adjacent varieties of another type) or if it is a truly areal feature with
no determinable genealogical basis.

(For the benefit of those of our interested subscribers that have no
background in phonological terminology, let me quickly explain that
"aspiration" refers to an h-like puff of air that accompanies a sound, and
that "stops" are these consonants: voiceless p, t, k, and voiced b, d, g.)

Absence of stop consonant aspiration is a phonological feature of Dutch,
Zeelandic, Western Flemish, Afrikaans, Limburgish and various other
Franconian and Rhenish varieties.  Speakers of most Low Saxon (Low German)
and also German dialects that are used farther east find it striking and
difficult to imitate.  (And speakers of non-aspirating varieties find it
difficult to learn aspiration, such as Dutch speakers learning German and
English.)  This absence of aspiration is also common in certain groups of
far-eastern Low Saxon and German dialects.  As far as I know, it is also a
common feature in far-western Low Saxon varieties, such as those of
Westphalia and the eastern provinces of the Netherlands.  Might this
absence in far-western Saxon varieties be a Franconian feature that has
spread to them?

Most German dialects that have stop consonant aspiration (here indicated as
[`]) aspirate all syllable-initial voiceless stops that are not directly
preceded by another consonant, though non-initial aspiration may be
somewhat weaker; e.g., _Kette_ ['k`Et`@] 'chain', (LS >) _tatterig_
['t`at`@rIC] 'doddering', 'trembling', _zappeln_ ['ts`ap`@ln] (where [ts]
is derived from a single phoneme) 'to wriggle' (cf. _Stätte_ ['StEt`@]
'place', _Taktik _ ['t`aktIk] 'tactic').

In the aspirating Northern Low Saxon varieties with which I am familiar,
aspiration, where applicable, is applied only to the beginning of a word or
to a stressed non-initial syllable, and in many varieties intervocalic
unaspirated stops undergo voicing and /t/ may become a flap (here [+]) like
in American English, and may even surface as [r]; e.g., _Teken_ ['t`EIk=N]
~ ['t`EIg=N] 'token', 'sign', _tatterig_ ['t`at at rIC] ~ ['t`ad at rIC] ~
['t`a+ at rIC] ~ ['t`ar at rIC] 'doddering', 'trembling', _Peper_ ['p`e:p3] ~
['p`Eb3] 'pepper', _verköpen_ [f3'k`œIp=m] ~ [f3'k`œIb=m] 'to sell' (cf.
_Stücken_ ['stYk=N] ~ ['stYg=N] 'pieces').  Because of this, and due to the
absence of a standard orthography, intervocalic stops, especially those
following short vowels, are sometimes written as though they were voiced
(e.g., _tadderig_, _Betten_ ~ _Bedden_ ~ _Berren_ ['bEt=n] ~ ['bEd=n] ~
['bE3n] 'beds').  In many instances, it is difficult to determine if a
given intervocalic stop is underlyingly voiced or voiceless.  Is _Wedder_
'weather' underlyingly /weder/ or /weter/?  Is _Betten_ ~ _Bedden_ ~
_Berren_ underlyingly /beten/ or /beden/?  Yes, there are etymological and
diachronic indications, but are they relevant to the phonology of a given
variety?

The above-mentioned aspiration pattern also applies in the
Low-Saxon-influenced "Missingsch" German varieties, as well as to
Missingsch-influenced North German varieties, of the areas in which it
applies to the Low Saxon varieties; e.g., Hamburg German _Kette_ ['k`Ete] ~
['k`Ede] 'chain', _zappeln_ ['ts`ap=ln] ~ ['ts`ab=ln] 'to wriggle'.

Danish varieties seem to have similar or identical aspiration patterns:
aspiration only applies initially (though intervocalic stops seem to always
be voiceless).  Might we be dealing with a Danish feature spread into North
Saxon or with a North Saxon feature spread into Danish (considering that
the patterns in Norwegian and Swedish are very different)?

What is quite interesting to me is that in English all of these pattern
types seem to be represented.  We have no aspiration in some dialects of
England (for instance those of Yorkshire, I believe, e.g., _pepper_
['pEp3]), initial-only aspiration in some dialects (which became prevalent
in American English, e.g., _pepper_ ['p`Ep=r] ~ ['p`Eb=r]) and "full"
aspiration (e.g., in Southern England, e.g., _pepper_ ['p`Ep`3]).  Looking
at these phenomena in terms of areal features, are there any clues as to
the origin in terms of genealogy (i.e., ancestral varieties imported to
Britain)?

Incidentally, I noticed that in some English dialects (of Southern England,
I believe) in which aspiration is very strong, initial /t/ is realized as
what to my ears sounds almost like [ts`] or [c`] (for want of a more
accurate symbol); e.g., _titillating_ ['ts`Its`IlEIts`IN].  This is also a
feature I have noticed in varieties that seem to fall within the range of
Standard Danish, in this case however only initially; e.g., _titte_
['ts`it@] 'to peep'.

Is it possible that in Old High German aspiration led to or favored the
development of stops to affricates and in certain environments to
fricatives?  (E.g., *_peppar_ > OHG _pfeffar_ > MHG _pfeffer_ MHG _Pfeffer_
'pepper').

Anyway, I would appreciate any insights and explanations any of you may
care to share.