LL-L: "Idiomatica" LOWLANDS-L, 01.MAY.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 15:00:46 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAY.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: David Darr <darr at tsunami.ocean.washington.edu>
Subject: LL-L: "Idiomatica" LOWLANDS-L, 30.APR.2001 (03) [E]

> I was wrong in saying she was from Georgia, as I was just told.  Her
father
> was from Georgia, but she was born in Roanoake, Alabama, and spent
much of
> her youth in Birmingham, Alabama.  At least Roanaoke qualifies as
northern
> Alabama, doesn't it?  Does Appalachian reach that far?  If not, it
must
> have had some influence on the speech of that region.  The lady had
> definitely "northernized" her English, but her Southern roots would
become
> quite obvious whenever she got really excited and was talking to
relatives
> or close friends.

I add as an aside, my homeland (Missouri Ozarks), though far from the
Appalachians, is essentially a western outpost (culturally and
linguistically)  of Appalachia. All of the Appalachian and much of the
Scots I read on this list reminds me of the way my grandparents'
generation spoke prior to 1970 or so.

David