LL-L: "Shared features" LOWLANDS-L, 28.MAY.2001 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon May 28 23:25:03 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.MAY.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: frank verhoft <frank_verhoft at yahoo.com>
Subject: shared features

Dear Cristoir, Dear Lowlanders,

Cristoir wrote (Subject: LL-L: "shared features"
LOWLANDS-L, 27.MAY.2001 (01) [E]):
"... seem to have uncovered links between Nottingham
English, Zeeuws, and Scots. The link with Zeeuws was
particularly startling"
[snip]
"...I am also certain that Frisian must be involved
somewhere, from the evidence of placenames."
[snip]
"These links are of great historical significance to
Lowland languages as a group for they represent links
and continua that have been academically ignored or
simply overlooked (presumably because of
nationalisms)."

Your mail puzzled me a bit, and I ceretainly don't
want to spoil the party, but the "link" or
similarities or shared features between English,
Frisian, Zeeuws, (Old) Saxon (and even Old Norse) have
been thoroughly described and discussed, and is part
of *any* academic publication/book on (historical)
comparative linguistics of the Germanic languages.
It's referred to as "Ingvaeonic" (Dutch "Ingweoons")
features.

Best regards,

Frank Verhoft