LL-L: "Shared features" LOWLANDS-L, 31.MAY.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 14:32:55 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.MAY.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel <stefansfeder at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L: "Shared features" LOWLANDS-L, 28.MAY.2001

Criostoir queried:

> Whilst my
> understanding of the historical spread of continental
> Lowland languages is at best derisable and at worst
> blatant fiction, is it fatuous or absurd to postulate
> a link between proto-Low Saxon (I apologise for
> lacking the precise term) and proto-Anglo-Frisian? Did
> they not share a similar locale?

Proto-Low Saxon and proto-Anglo-Frisian would pretty much have
been one and the same:  Old English and Old Saxon were still
very similar past 800 AD; the differences circa 500 AD would
have been less, and probably minor before, say, 300 AD--  I'm
basing that on reconstruction; we don't have direct evidence
going back that far.
Old Dutch was quite similar to those languages, though distinct
enough to be classified separately from the Ingveonic/North Sea
Germanic/Anglo-Frisian-Low Saxon group.  Orrin Robinson's Old
English and its Closest Relatives gives a very handy intro to
the topic.

> What other vocabulary might Low Saxon, Zeeuws and northern
> English/Scots variants share?

In their earliest recorded form, most of their vocabulary, and
gradually less as the languages keep diverging- pick up the
various dictionaries, or just any text, and see how much you
recognize right off the bat.

Stefan Jsrael