LL-L: "Shared features" (was "Language contacts") LOWLANDS-L, 30.MAY.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 20:40:12 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.MAY.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Shared features" LOWLANDS-L, 28.MAY.2001 (02) [E]

A chairde,

Ron wrote (of Long Eaton English "senn" being
paralleled by Zeeuws "selven"):

> It is also _selven_ ~ _sülven_ ~ _sülben_ ~ _sülm_
> in the Northern Low
> Saxon dialects.  Many of these dialects have a
> tendency toward changing
> preconsonantal /l/ to a vowel or deleting it
> altogether, thus _sülm_ [zYIm]
> or [zY.m].  (This characteristic continues in
> Missingsch, i.e., German
> dialects with Low Saxon substrates; e.g., Hamburg
> Missingsch _Milch_ [meIC]
> 'milk', _selber_ ['zE.Iba] ~ _selbst_ [zE.Ibs]
> 'self'.)

This is intriguing for a number of reasons if we
continue the theme of language contacts/shared
features backward through history. Whilst my
understanding of the historical spread of continental
Lowland languages is at best derisable and at worst
blatant fiction, is it fatuous or absurd to postulate
a link between proto-Low Saxon (I apologise for
lacking the precise term) and proto-Anglo-Frisian? Did
they not share a similar locale?

I suggest - and it is tenuous and poorly conceived -
that proto-Zeeuws, proto-Low Saxon and
proto-Anglo-Frisian variants may share a number of
features inherent from before the departure of the
proto-Anglo-Saxons to what later became England
c.520AD. If that is so, then core vocabulary such as
personal pronouns (if indeed "senn" [self] counts as
such) may spring from a common source rather than be
innovations or in extremis survivals. What other
vocabulary might Low Saxon, Zeeuws and northern
English/Scots variants share?

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Críostóir.