LL-L: "Shared features" LOWLANDS-L, 31.MAY.2001 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 23:10:34 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.MAY.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Shared features" LOWLANDS-L, 31.MAY.2001 (01) [E]

A chairde,

Thanks to Stefan, Ron et al. Your input is greatly
appreciated and as helpful and encouraging as always.
I think we've opened up an interesting strand here.

Ron wrote:

> In certain Eastern Low Saxon dialects, certainly in
> the now mostly
> extinct
> fareastern ones, there is unrounding as in Modern
> English (most likely
> due to
> West Slavic substrates);

This is intriguing. How far did Slavic languages push
into the Lowlands languages areas and what effects did
they have? I'm reminded immediately of Polabian,
Pomeranian and Slovincian - what phonological and
syntactical tangents did these Slavic tongues throw
up? And what consequence did Russian contact have on
the Lowlands diaspora within central Europe (e.g.,
Mennonit Plautdietsch in Russia, other variants of Low
Saxon in the former Yugoslavia and Romania)?

I notice from the Polabian pasternoster at
www.christusrex.org that Polabian had borrowed,
immediately on the first line, Germanic word order and
indeed the item "fader" (father; cf: Russian "oche",
Kashubian "wójce"): "nos fader" - compare Russian
"oche nash".

It appears that the true networks of contacts are even
greater than we might have realised, particularly if,
like me, one has not been paying attention for some
time.

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Críostóir.

----------

From: "Marco Evenhuis" <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>

Stefan Israel wrote:

> Old Dutch was quite similar to those languages, though distinct
> enough to be classified separately from the Ingveonic/North Sea
> Germanic/Anglo-Frisian-Low Saxon group.

I wonder what Stefan means with Old Dutch in this context, since most
coastal dialects in the Netherlands in those days were clearly part of the
'North Sea Germanic' group (Flemish -not to be divided in western and
eastern Flemish before the 1400s-, Zeelandic, most Hollandic dialects). Even
the written language used by the administration of the counts of Holland
used in the 12th and 13th century is very clearly an ingvaeonic language.
Other varieties spoken in the Netherlands in those days include Brabants,
Limburgs (both franconian) and the Low Saxon dialects spoken in the eastern
and northern Netherlands. All of which can hardly be considered 'Old
Dutch'...

> Fri _bregge_
> OldEng _brycg_
> Eng _bridge_
> Ger  _Brücke_ (often pronounced [brIk@]

Modern Zeeuws still has 'brigge' besides the more recent form 'brugge'.
'Brigdamme' is the name of a small village here on the isle of Walcheren.

regards,

Marco Evenhuis

From: Georg.Deutsch at esa.int

Thank you, Stefan Israel, for your explanations about the "Thiudiscan"
mothertongue of Charlemagne!
regards
Georg