LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.11.02 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 19:51:23 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.NOV.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at starmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.11.01 (01) [E]

At 15:17 02/11/01, Edwin Deady wrote:

>Apart from sentiment and intellectual exercise what is the benefit of having a
>minority language as a first language~?

One of the benefits of any language (minority or otherwise) is that it
serves as a bonding and identifying factor among members of the community
by which it is used. This is a benefit because human beings are social
animals, and forming communities is part of our natural behaviour.

Governments understand this only too well, and when they wish to
destroy a people's sense of themselves as a community, language
eradication is a tactic that they use on many occasions.

>The language
>reverenced is one that has been selected from a discrete moment in time. If it
>is spoken easily and naturally as a real language

"Real language"? Perhaps some explanation of this idea would be in order.

>then it will
>develop and become standardised throughout its geographical area which could
>be a whole country, such as happened with English.

Possibly, but it's worth pointing out that English has spread beyond
the original whole country through means that certainly were neither
easy nor natural. For example, in this country (Scotland) its current
dominant status is a consequence of the policy of language eradication
directed at the majority languages of earlier periods, which now are
spoken only by minorities.

Greetings to all,

 Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                               the barra wadna row its lane
 writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
 the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre