LL-L "Music" 2001.11.06 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 16:57:39 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.NOV.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Edwin Alexander <edsells at idirect.com>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2001.11.05 (01) [E]

At 08:04 AM 11/05/01 -0800, Elsie wrote:
>One can't imagine not. I bet the movie _Songcatcher_  has it's music
>available on CD.

You could go to www.rounder.com and click on their Roots button.  I
highly
recommend the Carter Family, who along with Jimmy Rodgers were the first
"Country" musicians to be recorded in the late 1920's.  They sing with a
natural and unaffected accent, since their original audience spoke just
the
way they did.  Also there you will find Mike Seeger, who imitated and
re-recorded a huge amount of Appalachian music, both traditional and
popular in the 1960's.  Though not a native speaker, I think you'd have
be one to tell he isn't.

Two more recent popular artist who sings in a fairly authentic accent
would
be Buck Owens and Loretta Lynn.  Sadly, it seems that more recent
Country
and Western artists seem to want to move to a more General American
sound.

I could go on and on, but I've got to get back to practicing my
autoharp!

Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-312-5204  Fax: 905-525-6671  http://camexvi.com/jag