LL-L "Humor" 2001.11.16 (01) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 22:49:04 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.NOV.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Selma Schepel" <selmaschepel at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Humor" 2001.11.15 (02) [D/E]

>Edwin Deady schreef:
>"Sticks and and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."
Wij zeiden als kind:
"Schelden doet geen zeer, slaan veel meer!"
Selma Schepel

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Humor

Selma Schepel nööm (baven) de nedderlandsche Seggwies':

> "Schelden doet geen zeer, slaan veel meer!"

Dat kümmt mi 'n beten bekannt vör ...

Neddersassisch (Nedderdüütsch/Plattdüütsch):
"Schellen deit nich (~ keen(een)) seer, slaan (~ slagen) noch veel
mehr." (???)
[SE.ln daIt nIC (~ k`E.In(?E.In)) zE.I3 slQ:n (~ slQ:G=N) nOx fe:l
mE.I3]

Kennt annere Leeglanners dat?

Gröten,
Reinhard/Ron

***

Selma Schepel mentioned (above) the Dutch saying:

> "Schelden doet geen zeer, slaan veel meer!"

("Cursing doesn't hurt anyone, beating does much more.")

That sounds vaguely familiar to me ...

Low Saxon (Low German):
"Schellen deit nich (~ keen(een)) seer, slaan (~ slagen) noch veel
mehr." (???)
[SE.ln daIt nIC (~ k`E.In(?E.In)) zE:I3 slQ:n (~ slQ:G=N) nOx fe:l
mE.I3]

Do other Lowlanders know this?

From: Edwin Alexander <edsells at idirect.com>
Subject: LL-L "Humor" 2001.11.15 (01) [E]

At 02:04 PM 11/15/01 -0800, Edwin Deady wrote:
>There was a complaint that there was no "humour" in my posting so I give
>you a
>universal joke below that you may apply how you will.

There is only one "universal" ethnic joke that I find humourous, which I
have often used as a comeback to persons who have just told an ethnic
joke.  "Did you hear that they're giving those [name of ethnic group,
preferrably the slang version] a big promotion?"  "Why, no I
didn't."  "Yes, they're bringing more [name of ethnic group of joke
teller,
preferably the slang version] in the country!"

Ed Alexander

---------

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at starmail.com>

At 22:04 15/11/01, Edwin Deady wrote:
>"Sticks and and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."
>Are there other Lowland versions?

In Scots, it's "ye can caw me whit ye want, as lang as ye dinna
caw me ower".

It may help if I explain that "caw" has two meanings, one being the
equivalent of English "call" and the other being "push" or "impel".

>The joke:
>
>"Have you heard about the ........... who was so stupid that even the
>others noticed?"

That's good. My suggestion for the name in the gap is:

"contributor to LOWLANDS-L".

Colin Wilson.