LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.10.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 17:44:41 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.OCT.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: gpublic at MAC.COM
Subject: Kansas / Missouri Speech

Hi Lowlanders,

I recently moved from Northeast Ohio, USA, to the Kansas City area and in
the last 6 months I've noted that there are two main accents out here, that
may be considered dialects(?). This is just from casual observations made
since I've moved. The amount of ex-Ohioans is surprising, which makes the
fact that most Kansans in the Kansas City area, who are transplants, use
Anchorspeak. I'm no professional and linguistics is just a hobby-- so please
correct my terminology and technique where it lacks.

Most of the people who live in Kansas use "Anchorspeak," or the Standard
English that is heard in the likes of CNN News. I attribute this to the fact
that most people living on the east side of the Kansas / MIssouri border are
transplants from further east, who also speak closely to Anchorspeak. This
is especially true for my native region.

Missourah speech (whose speakers typically west of the above border, in
Kansas City, Missouri, and its surrounding Missouri cities) is the heavy
"Missourah" accent that is associated with characters Like Huck Finn and Tom
Sawyer out of Mark Twain novels. It differs signifigantly from the
Appalachian accent you'd get in southern Ohio, which could get quite
pronounced in certain areas.

Anyway, is anyone else familiar with the speeches of Missouri and Kansas, or
any similar situations regarding speech resulting from transplanted
populations converge in a single region?

Thanks,
Gary Davenport