LL-L "Language varieties" 2000.10.22 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 17:49:07 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.OCT.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From:  Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at simpross.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "language varieties" 2000.10.21 (02) [E]

Hi all,

Criostoir O Ciardha paada_please at YAHOO.CO.UK Subject: Shared
Features/Afrikaans
asked:

What struck me here I highlighted: the deliberate policy of *Scottish*
ministers. Back then, Scots was still the only language of most Scottish
citizens - with English a learnt second language. Were the Scottish
chosen because Scots was considered closer to Afrikaans/Dutch? Just how
close when compared to English is Scots to Afrikaans?

Scots could and will never be closer to Afrikaans than to English. Same
family; different lineage.
The only rationale was the similar understanding of Calvinist
Reformation.
Incidentally, what remains culturally of that Scottish 'connection' is a
few Afrikaner surnames, as for example Murray (Andrew).

Therefore, I ask: a) What are the main differences between Dutch and
Afrikaans? and b) What influence has Malay (or other Austronesian
languages) and Khoisan or Bantu languages had on Afrikaans?

The greatest difference between Dutch and Afrikaans is in the very
simplified grammar structure of Afrikaans, as if the early users simply
dropped the superfluous. Afrikaans does not conjugate or inflect.

There are too many theories on the influence to be certain. For
instance, it was assumed that the Afrikaans double negative comes from
Malay, yet this was also typical in some 16th Century Dutch dialects as
well as in Middle High German. I would say the greatest influence of
Malay, Nguni, Sotho and Khoisan is on the Afrikaans lexicon.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser