LL-L "Migration" 2000.10.28 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 28 22:33:19 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.OCT.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
Subject: LL-L: "Migration" LOWLANDS-L, 09.OCT.2001 (04) [E]

Dear Friends,

I am very slow at catching up with emails!  I have two questions on this
thread. The correspondence is summarised below ...

The website mentions 'colonies' - I'm not clear when they were
established and so-called. The word is Latin in its roots ... how early
does it appear in documents for this area?

Second, on a visit to Berlin a few years ago I was taken to a restaurant
near (or in?) Pottsdam, which was decorated with architectural fragments
from typical 'Dutch' houses.  I was told that the Dutch had been invited
to the area in order to build a canal ...  Any documentary references to
this (primary or secondary) would be very welcome.

With best wishes

Pat
(still working, slowly, on 'Dutch' houses in a global context)
In message <3BC32493.63F6734C at yahoo.com>, Lowlands-L
<sassisch at yahoo.com> writes
 >From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at PANDORA.BE>
 >Subject: Language spoken in Flming-region (S.W. ofBerlin)
 >
 >I remember reading an article once (fifteen years ago) about the
 >medieval settlement of Flemish and Brabantine farmers in the
 >German region south-west of Berlin, nowadays called "Flming".
 >From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 >Subject: Migration
 >
 >Dear Luc,
 >
 >Welcome to Lowlands-L!
 >
 >The following (German-language) website contains an introduction:
 ><http://www.opitz-hh.de/geschichte/flamen.htm>.  In a Dutch quotation
it
 >mentions Zeelanders (Zeeuwen) and Hollanders besides Flemings.

Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Pat,

German _Kolonie_ does not only denote what English _colony_ denotes.  It
also denotes 'settlement', specifically in the sense of 'enclave of
immigrant settlers', for instance a Dutch _Kolonie_ in Northern Germany.

Another example: the two most important dialects of Mennonite Low Saxon
("Plautdietsch") are now referred to as "Old Colony" and "New Colony"
even in English -- derived from German _Kolonie_ -- referring to the
language varieties of enclaves of Mennonite immigrants from "Western
Prussia" (today's Northern Poland) to "New Russia," namely to the
settlements of Khortica (Chortitza) and Molochna (Molotschna) in the
Ukraine.

_Kolonie_ can also simply denote a settlement quarter, such as a
_Gartenkolonie_, a community of allotment garden plot (_Schrebergarten_)
owners.

I hope it makes better sense to you now.

Regards and best wisches,

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or sign off at
  to be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or via