LL-L "Language varieties" 2000.10.28 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 04:10:03 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.OCT.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2000.10.27 (02) [E]

Hello Crístoír !

I want to give some additional notes to Ron's reply on Your posting from
the view of a farwestern speaker of Low Saxon (East Frisian variant):
---In East Frisia tûn is the same as in Dutch tuin (garden). In EF for
many
vowels we distinguish three variants of length - a short, a long and
a "stressed". In tûn we have the last one. It means that the vowel u is
be spoken long in a rising tone that falls towards the end sometimes
remaining just as a "Schwa" (in IPA-writing the e that stands on it's
head). The difference between long and "stressed" vowels is decicive for
meanings and/or grammatical functions.
---In EF there is also a difference between the long "a" and that sound
Ron
gave writing examples for like "ao", "oa" etc - in the orthography I
proposed this sound is written "ó".
"a" can be short, long or stressed,
"ó" can also be short, long or stressed but in difference to "a", short
"ó"
occurs never inside a word - only at the end (or in some cases at the
beginning) and mostly in geographical names (f.i. Amerika)  I regret not
be able to write the correct letters for long vowels in EF-Platt (i.e EF
Low Saxon)and other specialities or to use phonetical writing in my
postings. It might be helpful.
---The prefix ge- is dropped (not only from past participles) in EF
Platt.
dón = done, passed; mókt = done
dicht vs. Ger. Gedicht = poem
But it has reappeared in some cases by Dutch influence:
ghelowe = faith ("gh" means the g-fricative)
gemak = lavatory
In some other cases it depends on the speaker whether he uses ge- or not
"ghelük" or "lük" = luck, fortune, happiness (nowadays moreoften glük in
German pronounciation [Glück]).
---In most cases the vowel shift may follow the rules Ron has given but
we
know all the Dutch vowels as well and there will be many words to be
find
that don't follow the given rules.
For example: dt: scheiden - ef: sghäiden (not: schieden) = divorce
---In case of the "Umlautung" EF Platt normally is the same as Dutch:
Dutch         EF Platt
kopen         kopen
bomen        bomen
bladen        blóden
over            ower
(In EF the "o" is long each)
But locally You also find "bööem" (stressed ö) and öwer. The last I
suspect
to be originated under influence of other Low Saxon dialects.

Regards
Holger