LL-L "Migration" 2000.10.29 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 16:28:12 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Abram Bergen" <abram_bergen at sympatico.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Migration" 2000.10.28 (02) [E]

Reinhard/Ron,

I don't know very much about my family history.  I grew up among the
Mennonites in northern Mexico (Chihuahua) and spoke Plautdietsch in the
home -- I still speak it.  Anyway, I was told that my grandparents, when
teenagers, had come to Canada, either Saskatchewan or Manitoba, from
somewhere near the border of Russia and the Ukraine.  Now you speak of
Khortica (Chortitza) and Molochna (Molotschna).  If you know any more
about
those settlements, as also about those who emigrated to Canada, I would
be
very happy to hear from you.  I am trying to piece more things together
about my past.

Thanks,
Abram Bergen.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Migration

Wellkom, lewe Abram!

I could try answering your questions (above), but I refrain from it,
simply because I am by no means an authority in this regard, and we are
fortunate enough to have subscribers who are extremely knowledgeable,
especially our dear friend Reuben Epp (Kelowna, British Columbia,
Canada).

For the benefit of interested Lowlands-L subscribers, I do hope that
your questions will be answered here.  Over and above, I strongly
recommend that you do the following:

(1) Subscribe to Plautdietsch-L
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/plautdietsch-l.html)

(2) Check our Low Saxon (Low German) Online Resource Guide
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/links_neddersassisch.htm)

(3) Check our Low Saxon (Low German) Offline Resource Guide
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/low_saxon_offline.htm)
(under "Modern Low Saxon" and "Modern Low Saxon around the World")

(4) Perhaps most importantly to start with, read the following:
Epp, Reuben (1993); _The Story of Low German & Plautdietsch: tracing a
language across the globe_; Hillsboro (USA): The Reader's Press
<psdirect at southwind.net>; ISBN 0-9638494-0-9.

Best regards and wishes,