LL-L: "Games" LOWLANDS-L, 12.SEP.2001 (02) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 18:24:07 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Randy Elzinga [frisiancow at hotmail.com]
Subject: Games

Lowlanders,

In two books about Fryslan that I have recently read, I came
across a reference to the game Keatsen.  Neither of these books gives any
detailed description of the game.  These books, together with a few internet
resources describe it as a game played in teams of three resembling soccer
or tennis.  However, none of these resources give any more detailed
description of the game.  Can anybody give a better, more detailed
description of the game, or tell me where I could find one.

Both of the books also seem to state that the game is relatively(but not
totally) exclusive to Fryslan.  Is this true, and if so, is it something
that is enjoyed by the East and North Frieslands as well?

And, on a somewhat related topic:

During the month of July, there was some discussion on the list about
maintaining a sense of unity among the Frisians (West, East, and North)
despite their different languages, and other cultures such as the Scots
people in Scotland and Ulster.  With respect to the Frisians, are there any
characteristics that are common to all three Frisian groups, besides a
common language (with non-mutually intelligible varieties), and a common
history, that would give them this sense of unity?

Thank you.
Randy Elzinga.
frisiancow at hotmail.com

by the way, the books to which I referred are
Frisian and Free by Cynthia Mahmood and
Friesland as it is, name of the author escapes me at the moment.  It's
picture book of Friesland.

  Please submit contributions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l" are