LL-L: "Games" LOWLANDS-L, 13.SEP.2001 (03) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 17:38:57 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Alex de Jong [alex at mail.pulse.nl]
Subject: Re: LL-L: "Games" LOWLANDS-L, 12.SEP.2001 (02) [E]

Keatsen

Keatsen, or similar games (jeu de pelote for instance) are played all
over Europe in some form: pelote in Belgium, similar games in Italy,
even Jai Alai (also played in the Basque  country) is a form of
keatsen. (Sometimes, I even feel cricket is akin to it)

a good place to start is the Koninklijke Nederlandse Kaatsbond site:
www.knkb.nl

hope this helps

alex

----------

From: Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl
Subject: Games

Today, Randy Elzinga wrote:

>> Both of the books also seem to state that the game is relatively(but not
>> totally) exclusive to Fryslan.  Is this true, and if so, is it something
>> that is enjoyed by the East and North Frieslands as well?

I found this information on the official site of the Dutch kaats-association
knkb at: www.knkb.nl

About kaatsen in different countries, you can read (in Dutch):
Apparently, Frisian "keatsen" is a degeneration of Dutch "kaatsen", which is
loan from French. Also, it is seen as the 'predecessor' of tennis.

quote (from Dutch):
Kaatsen is played in about 40 countries. Each continent has its own variant
of
the ball-game. In Europe, kaatsen is played in: the Netherlands (14.000
players), Belgium (10.000 players), France, Italy (10.000 players), Spain,
Ireland (25.000) and Sweden (Gotland). Especially the Basque game in Spain
and
France is very popular (in Basque country: 60.000 players). Also, kaatsen is
played in Central and South America (Mexico, Columbia, Bolivia and
Argentina. "wall-kaatsen" (against a wall) is played in the US and Canada.
end quote

Regards,
Mathieu

  Please submit contributions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l" are