LL-L: "Neologisms" LOWLANDS-L, 15.SEP.2001 (01) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 17:01:00 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: J. Simon van der Walt [j.simon at jsvdw.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Re: LL-L: "Neologisms" LOWLANDS-L, 13.SEP.2001 (02) [E]

Muriel Norde wrote:

> Since this is the title of a piece of music, I interpreted <-vleugel> not
> as "wing" but as "grand piano". The first element of the compound,
> <straal-> I associated with <straal-jager> "jet fighter". Hence, my first
> intuition was one of a piano-concert involving a prestissimo part of
> dazzling virtuosity for the pianist. But then I may be totally wrong, and
> hope the composer will reveal to us what he had in mind!

Hmm. Well, as a matter of fact, it's a piece of music for flugelhorn and
marimba - which of course would lead one's mind away from the piano
association!

I came upon my title by a roundabout route. I had a vague feeling that the
piece was something about flight, or more exactly about a wing, with the
marimba perhaps representing the solid part of the wing and the flugelhorn
the air rushing over it. It took a long time for the penny to drop, but of
course I was undoubtably thinking subconciously of the 'flugel' part of
'flugelhorn'.

I also had a feeling it was specifically heavier-than-air, fixed wing
powered flight I was thinking of, most likely a jet. For some reason the
English compound 'jetwing' came into my head. It feels a bit like something
which probably belongs in a science fiction novel, but also somehow right.
Tranliterating this approximately into Dutch led me to 'straalvluegel'. But
with what seemed to be several possible shades of meaning for both parts of
the compound, I was interested to see what the members of this list felt.

I have, of course, been in touch with the commissioners of the piece, but
they have not expressed an opinion as yet. (And it's being performed on 22
September, so I really need to come to a decision soon!)

J. Simon van der Walt
<http://www.jsimonvanderwalt.com>

  Please submit contributions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l" are