LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 15.SEP.2001 (02) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 17:01:04 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ted Harding [Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk]
Subject: Frisian Sound Files

Hi Folks,

A couple of linked questions.

1. Which, in the informed opinion, is the variety of
   Friesian which might be considered closest to
   (or most influential on) English of South-East England?

2. Are there available on the Net downloadable sound-files
   (preferably .wav format, but not necessarily) illustrating
   this variety (or any variety) of Friesian? Accompanying
   transcriptions in text files would also be useful.

I'm interested in doing some "comparative listening".

While I've searched a bit among the resources listed on
Ron's Lowlands-L site, I haven't turned anything up.
Since (unfortunately) it gets quite expensive searching
the net by dialup for something which may not be readily
traceable, I've decided to short-cut it by asking the list.
(And also to ask Question 1!).

Greetings and best wishes to all,
Ted.

  Please submit contributions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l" are