LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 27.SEP.2001 (01) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 21:51:35 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

Christian Chiarcos [myrddin at cs.tu-berlin.de]
Subject: Re: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 13.MAR.2001 (03) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

many thanks for your replies to the Central Pomeranian wordlist.
Although quite late, more than a half year after the last mail, I will
subsume my ideas about it.

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
>
> >    * benk subst. = bank subst.f. "Sitzbank" ?, or a collective form
> M-WP _Bnk_  ~ _Bank_ 'bench' ... umlauting in the singular in many or most
> M-WP dialects.

This was the impression that I had, too, but both forms seem to exist in
parallel.

> >    * blensch subst.f?. "silly girl (abfllig zu [schwatzhaftem ?] Mdchen)
>
> Partly Slavic-derived?

Very plausible, this might be one of the very few Slav. words that are
known in Central Pomerania.
(Of course, there are many traces, but mainly place names.)

> From: Jim Gretch [jgretch at ugf.edu]
> > >    * bollen subst.pl. "onions (Zwiebeln)"
> >
> > Apparently found in several Eastern Low Saxon and German dialects; <
Slavic
> >  M-WP _Boll_ 'spherical/bulbous object'.
> or from Latin _cepula_ < dim. of _cepa_ ?

Meanwhile I've found a Markian _bollen_ with the same meaning, so it
seems to be one of our many loans from Brandenburg.

> >    * fahr subst.f. "furrow (Furche)"
>
> NS & M-WP _Fr_ [f:3] ~ _Fuur_ [fu:3] ~ _Faar_ ~ _Fahr_ ~ _Foor_ ~ _Fohr_
> 'fQ:3] 'furrow' (< Indo-European *_per(e)k-_ 'to burrow', 'to force open')

Of course the etymology is correct, but the interesting point is the
loss of the final velar in NS, M-WP, CP (I will use this for Central
Pomeranian, Mittelpommersch), that  remained in E _furrow_, G _furche_.
It usually did survive in other cases  after _Vr_, too (CP MLG _borch_,
E _burrow_ (~ _burgh_)
<  *_bhrk-_; _barch_ <  *_bher(e)k-_  etc.)

> >    * fastelabend subst.m. "carnival (Fasching)" (= low saxon ?)
>
> NS _Fastelavend_ ~ _Fasselavend_ etc. id. (< _fasten_ 'to fast' + _Avend_
> 'evening'?; cf. German _Fastnacht_ id.)

interesting, as far as I know, in WP _fastenabend_ is preferred
(although
Herrmann-Winter has _fastelabend_ only). The  CP -el-suffix seems to be
more archaic.

> >    * hekelt "Hechelwerkzeug zum Durchkmmen der Wolle mit nach oben
>
> NS & M-WP _hekeln_ ['he:k=ln] 'to hatchel', 'to heckle', 'to comb' (flax,
> wool, etc.)

NB: MWP has _hkel_, only.
The CP dental suffix might be the same as in German _jag-d_, E _high-t_,
_wid-th_, but in this case, it would have to be a rather old
construction. But the fact that it is not known elsewhere (is it ?)
might imply, that the final -t is from another source.
There are many pairs like _angeln_ vs. _angelnt_ among verbal nouns, but
other examples, too (_alles_ vs. _all(e)st_, _de annern_ vs. _de
annerten_). Here the final dental is clearly not epenthetic, but its
function remains unclear.

As far as I know, in MWP there is a fluctuation between _alles_ and
_allest_, and I guess, in other dialects, too. Has anyone an idea
regarding the origins or even the functions of the different -t-affixes
?

> >    * koeken subst.f. ''Kche'' (not koek !)
>
> NS & M-WP _Kk_ ... in some NS dialects ...  _Kken_ ...

>>From Lat. coquina. I expected to find the more archaic _kken_ in regions
with _-ken_-diminuitive, and _kk_ elsewhere (e.g. MWP as an _-ing_-area)

> >    * twallen v. "to do something silly (unvernnftig handeln)"
> M-WP _twallig_ 'silly'
> NS _dwallen_ 'to play', 'to fool around', 'to behave in a silly way',

What about a connection with Goth. _dwals_ 'foolish', OE _gedwolen_
'errously' ?

> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

PS:
> From: Reiner Brauckmann [Reiner.Brauckmann at FernUni-Hagen.de]
>
> Blage de wat wollen /  kriett wat fr de Bollen.

This one I know in German only:
Kinder mit 'nem Willen, /  krieg'n was auf die Brillen.

Greetings,
Christian

  Please submit contributions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l" are