LL-L "History" (was Architecture") 2002.04.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 16:21:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.APR.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Valerio F. Laube" <vflaube at netuno.com.br>
Subject: LL-L "Architecture" 2002.03.29 (03) [E]

>From: "Patrick van der Reest" <patrick at vekn.net>
>Subject: LL-L "Architecture" 2002.03.27 (04) [E]
>
>> From: "W!M" <wkv at home.nl>
>> Subject: LL-L "Architecture" (was "Administrativa") 2002.03.27 (01) [E]
>>
>> Brazil has been a colony of the Netherlands.

>> For a short period though, in the 1600s just about.
>> That might be the story behind it.
>
>Rather, there were many Dutch settlements in the Belo Horizonte area,
>although these were private enterprises of (mostly) farmers. No part of
>Brazil, in my knowledge, ever was claimed by the Dutch government(s) of
>the time.
>
>Patrick van der Reest
>Enschede, the Netherlands

Only a part of  northeast of Brazil was d Dutch colony from 1630 to
1654.
With the failure of the invasion of Bahia (1624), where they stayed  for
one year, but with the valuable support of Isabel from England and
Henrique IV from France, resentful enemies from Spain, Holland, through
Índias Westerner Company, formed by the coalition of small associations,
in 1621, whose capital had risen, in little time, to 7 million florins,
it went back his/her interest to Pernambuco.
I don´t know about Dutch setlements in Belo Horizonte (this a main city
of Minas Gerais State), but in State of São Paulo there are the Holambra
city, founded after 2. Word War.
For more information, Please see the follow links: (Sorry!  Only
Portuguese):

http://www.fundaj.gov.br/docs/indoc/cehib/dantas.html
http://www.di.ufpe.br/~mundi/numero5/mapamundi/atmosfera.html
http://www.holambratur.com.br/historia/história.htm