LL-L "Resources" 2002.04.01 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 16:22:58 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.APR.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Henry Baron" <baro at calvin.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.03.31 (06) [E]

The Frisian Information Bureau, managed by Bernard Fridsma Sr. for many
years,
is no longer in operation.  Prof. Fridsma is now 97 years old and no
longer able
to continue this service.
Though the FIB has ceased, I try to handle the occasional inquiries and
requests that still come to the FIB.  The book and tapes you mention are
still
in circulation and continue to be in demand.  However, the quality of
the audio
is poor and not really acceptable anymore.  They need re-doing, but the
question
of whether and when is pending.
Another introductory Frisian course is in the making in the meantime,
and
there's also an excellent website that offers 16 lessons in
Westerlauwers
Frisian.
I can't say that I have observed the use of "kin" in place of "can"among
the
West Michigan folk.  I doubt that there's been a Frisian influence
affecting
such an occasional use.
Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of further help.
Henry Baron
baro at calvin.edu

Quote:

From: "William Warren" <celtman at hotmail.com>
Subject: Bernard Fridsma Jr. book

I have a spiral bound copy of of "Introduction to Frisian" some
preliminary and tentative notes for a possible future textbook by
Bernard J. Fridsma,Jr.
of Calvin College which I bought several years ago along with over 20
cassette tapes
from some Frisian society in Grand Rapids. I have at least some of the
tapes yet but they are
scattered and in bad condition. Does anyone know whether this society
still exists and whether
I can reorder my audio material? I don't find anything in your links and
a google.com
search onlyt urned up a Frisian Psalter in Calvin College by Bernard
Fridsma.Sr.
 Also is the use of "kin" for "can" which characterized my late father's
dialect as well as
some other people I have met in Michigan an influence from Frisian on
English ?