LL-L "Orthography" 2002.04.09 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 9 19:58:52 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.APR.2002 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Orthography"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Orthography
>
> But they have made a grizzly choice, in my opinion, in not doubling
> final consonants between short vowels and _-ing_ in certain words, such
> as _bus_ > _busing_ (instead of _bussing_).  I want to pronounce
> _busing_ ['bju:zIN] instead of ['bVsIN].  Oh, this also applies to the
> plural in this case: _buses_ instead of _busses_.

This reminds me of an interesting phenomenon I've observed
in work over the years.

In the computing indestry the term "data bus" or just "bus"
is used for a wire to which data can be sent to be picked
up by other computers or hardware on a network. I don't
exactly know why it's called a bus, but have always
imagined it's because it "buses" data between machines.

Anyway, it's generally understood that "bus" in this sense
is supposed to be spelt "bus", but nevertheless programmers,
both where I work now and in the company I used to work for,
tend to spell it "buss". I myself very often read over
something I've written and find I've spelt a databus as
"buss" and have to correct it, although I'm sure I'd never
make this mistake in writing about an omnibus.

Can anybody suggest what might be going on here? Do people
in general, or at least writers in English, have a tendency
to make orthographic distinctions between homophones whenever
the orthography allows some latitude in the spelling?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.
                          - C.W.Wade,
                    'The Adventures o McNab'

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

There is, of course, also the verb 'to bus', which creates the problems
"'busses' or 'buses'?" and "'bussed' or 'bused'?"

For instance, children are "bus(s)ed" to school in special school
bus(s)es, in "bus(s)ing programs" designed to mix up students across
socio-economic and ethnic divisions by transporting them not to the
schools nearest their homes but to schools in other districts.  This is
one kind of "bus(s)ing."

When I came to the United States, a new thing and term for me was "bus
boy" (also spelled "busboy"), someone who collects dirty dishes and
straightens up the tables in restaurants and other types of eateries.
(I have never come across the term "bus girl," though, and still do not
know what you call the female counterparts, whom I do see.)  In informal
U.S. eateries, especially in cafeterias and "fast food joints," you will
find signs asking patrons something like "Please bus your own dishes."
Why "bus" in this context?  It's beyond me.  Perhaps it refers to
conveyor belts on which dishes are transported to dishwashing areas.  So
perhaps it is similar to Sandy's question about "data bus(s)es."