LL-L "Language contacts" 2002.04.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 16:18:14 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.APR.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: <burgdal32 at mac.com>
Subject: scots

Dear Lowlanders,
Sandy and Ron,

Returning from a ski-holiday I just found the time to read all the new
letters that had arrived on my adress.
In the letter of the 28 of march  there is  a historical overlook in the
history of Scotland and the  gaelic and german influences.
It happens that I just borrowed a book from my library (at Roeselare)
about
the flemish immigrants and influences in Scotland.
The book is called -Scottish hazard- by Beryl Platts (proctor press
London
1985) .
He claims:
Men, supported bu many followers carried north the civilization tenets
of
their ancestor, Charlemagne.
The flemish immigrations began  in 1066 when William of Normandy went to
England with  Mathilde , his Flemish wife (barried in Caen -France) Her
mother Adela -ancestress of the royal family of England is barried in
Mesen
- Flanders-.
In his book he writes about the reign of king David I (1124-53) and a
large
contingent of people who arrived from Flanders (to protect their lady
-Maud
de Senlis- who married the king of Scotland?).
Platts claims that perhaps a third  of the present population are
descendants of Flemish origins. Their origine (for the noble families
that
is) can been traced by comparing their heraldry both in Scotland and in
Flanders(the flemings being the eldest of the two). The following names
go
back to that origine: Abernethy, Anstrutnes, Baird, Balliol, Boswell,
Brodie, Bruce, Cameron, Campbell, Comyn, Crawford, Douglas, Erskine,
Fleming, Fraser, Graham, Hamilton, Hay, Innes, Leith, Leslie, Lindsay,
Lochore, Montgomerie, Murray, Oliphant, Seton, Stewart and Stirling.
In this regard Flemish language must have had a respectable influence in
those regions.
Do you agree or have you reserves with that information I found in my
library?
Do you know of any studie that compares Scots(English) with
Flemish(Dutch).
Some years ago I  read in my newspaper an interview with a professor
who
came to Belgium to studie old-Flemish, so that she could more easely
studie
and understand old-English.And indeed, how further we go in history,how
closer the languages get. When I look in my Webster dictionnary  I find
the
origins of the words very easy to read and understand  and very much
closer
to my Flemish(more than to my Dutch)than the new English words.
Hartelijke groeten,
Luc Vanbrabant