LL-L "Grammar" 2002.04.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 14:47:41 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.APR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Colin Wilson" <lcwilson at starmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.04.07 (04) [E]

>From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
>Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.04.04 (10) [E/S]

>I'm not sure about the North East
>here - that is, although phrases like 'my holidays' are certainly used,
>I'm not sure about 'on holiday'. Colin?

In north-east Scotland, expressions using a possessive adjective
+ "holidays" are used to mean "on holiday", both adjectivally and
adverbially.

"A gaed ma holidays tae Prague" => "I went on holiday to Prague"
"A wis there ma holidays" => "I was there on holiday".

Regards,

Colin Wilson.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

One thing I have noticed about certain English dialects of England (for
instance those of Yorkshire) is that "our" must (?) precede the name of
one's relative when one talks about him or her; e.g., "Have you seen our
Jane?", "That's typical of our Billy," or "Our Vera is in hospital."

How extensively does this apply, with regard to both usage and dialectal
spread?  Is it used in Scots as well?  What about other Lowlands
languages?

I have also heard "your" used in this way in reference to the listener's
relative.  Is that mandatory also?

This is the same in Low Saxon (Low German), where _us_ or _uns_ ~
_unsen_ 'our' is used for one's own relatives, and _juun_ 'your'
(plural) is used for the listener's relatives; e.g., _Us Hinnerk hett
wat mit'n Maag'_ 'Our Henry is having a stomach problem', _Juun Lies'
hett 'n good Tier_ 'Your Liz has good manners/is well behaved'.

I suppose this sort of thing makes a lot of sense in smaller or
relatively close-knit communities in which families know each other.  In
large city settings, in which there is a higher degree of alienation and
anonymity, one would have need to specify and focus on the speaker or
listener rather than on their families (e.g., "My sister is having a
baby," "My cousin George is off to Australia," "Have you heard from your
brother Peter yet?").