LL-L "How do you say ...?" 2002.04.18 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 14:24:20 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.APR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sylvain Lavoie <elisabeth-sylvain at sympatico.ca>
Subject: Rivìère du Loup

Hi everybody,

Regarding the translations requested for "River of the Wolf,  Lower
Saint Lawrence" ( original "Rivière-du-Loup,  Bas-Saint-Laurent"), I
think it is time for me to be clearer.

First of all, you can be sure that I will not keep the translation
"Watter o' Oof,   Nether Saunt Laarence" since Sandy Fleming, Colin
Wilson, Matthew McGrattan and John M. Tait all agree on the rarity of
the word "oof" for "loup".

I want to create a Web site presenting  as many translations as possible
for "Rivière-du-Loup ( a town ), Bas-Saint-Laurent ( a region )". (heavy
sigh) All those typing controverses for such triviality !

Since, I wish the translation presented to be representative of the
language, it is obvious that I'll forget "Watter o' Oof".

Thanks for the translations in Low Saxon and Limburgish and Afrikaans
obtained on this list.
    Wolfsbeek,  Neddern Sankt-Laurens-Stroom  ( Low Saxon )
        thanks to Reinhard Hahn

    Reveer van de Wouf,  Naer-Sint-Laur  ( Limburgish )
        thanks to Mathieu van Woerkom

    Wolfsrivier,  Neder-Sint Laurens  ( Afrikaans )
        thanks to Terrence Lockyer

    ( Scots )  vary widely
        thanks to Sandy Fleming for his message of March 27.

I just hope I don't forget something or someone.

I had already the Dutch translation which is basically the same than
Afrikaans in this case.

Sylvain Lavoie
Rivière-du-Loup,  Bas-Saint-Laurent
Québec,  Canada

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: How do you say ...?

Sylvain,

>     Wolfsbeek,  Neddern Sankt-Laurens-Stroom  ( Low Saxon )
>        thanks to Reinhard Hahn

It might be better to say "Nedder-Sankt-Lorenz-Stroom" for the name in
Low Saxon (Low German).

(1) _Neddern ..._ for "Lower ..." would not be a part of an actual name
but would be an addition, an explanation.  As a part of a name it whould
be _Nedder-..._, as in _Nedderelv'_ for the name "Lower Elbe (River),"
as opposed to _de neddere Elv'_ "the lower (reaches of the) Elbe
(River)."

(2) "Laurens" is a possibility, especially before the 20th century.
Nowadays German "Lorenz" would probably be more accepted.

I wonder if _Wouf(s)reveer_ would not sound more natural in Limburgish.