LL-L "Resources" 2002.04.24 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 16:51:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.APR.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Edwin Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.04.24 (01) [E]

At 07:20 AM 04/24/02 -0700, Sander Hunink wrote:

  post scriptum: I am Dutch and I can speak and write Dutch very well,
but
  the reason I wrote my message in English is that I can reach more
people
  this way (for the benefit of my examination).

Speaking for myself, but possibly for many others, I would prefer that
you wrote in "Dutch", perhaps giving an English
translation after.  While I cannot write fluently in any other Lowlands
language but English, during my participation in this
List, I have learned to read fairly fluently "Dutch", Plautdietsch, Low
Saxon, Scots, and other target languages.  I joined
the list when I came across it in my search for Frisian resources, so
this has been a real added benefit.  Of course, this
would hardly have been possible if everyone just wrote in English.

There has been some discussion recently decrying the work of certain
Christian evangelists around the world, asserting
that their work has had the effect of destroying indigenous cultures
over the centuries.  Well, we must remember that the
Western Church was the real inheritor of the Roman Empire, and is really
instinctively just following the latter's policy of
establishing One Religion and One Language and One Culture throughout
the realm.  However, one must also remember
that other tendency of the church to accommodate other cultures and
languages, to wit Martin Luther's urging the Low
Saxon churches to conduct services in their own language (which they
pretty much ignored, apparently), plus the
accommodating of certain Saxon and Frankish pagan traditions and deities
into the mix, as in many of the Lowlands
Christmas and Easter traditions of Santa Clauses (Woden) and mistletoe
and rabbits and eggs, etc.  Also, the Eastern
Church has as a matter of ancient practice developed sub-churches along
linguistic and national lines.

Ed Alexander
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BRUCE TRAIL 500 KM FUNDRAISER: http://www.deerhurst.com/fundraiser